COVID-19 UPDATE #6 from CUPE 500
March 24, 2020 at 2:31 PM
Without a doubt we are facing challenging times. As we continue to navigate through this pandemic, please be assured that your union has been working with your employers to:
- promote measures such as working-from-home wherever possible;
- ensure health and safety measures are being taken by the employer to limit the spread of COVID-19 at the workplace (i.e. social distancing and appropriate hygiene procedures);
- minimize the impact to those who may have no choice but to stay home.
Since our last update to you:
- The federal government has announced significant economic measures to help Canadians impacted by the new coronavirus pandemic. This includes direct financial support for workers who wouldn't ordinarily qualify for employment insurance benefits and funding for those who are laid off or face reduced work hours because of the virus. For more information, visit: www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/corporate/notices/coronavirus.html
- The City of Winnipeg has suspended non-essential in home appointments, further reduced non-essential services and closed several front-line service counters;
- The Province of Manitoba has declared a state of emergency to protect the public, reduce the spread of COVD-19.
- CUPE Manitoba has launched an online letter-writing campaign to the Premier calling for fourteen (14) paid sick days for all Manitoba workers during COVID-19. Almost 1,000 letters were sent to the Premier this past weekend.
- The Manitoba government is investing $27.6 million to help provide child care to essential front-line workers as they support the province's COVID-19 response,
Members have been asking if their positions will be deemed as essential. We are currently in discussions with the City regarding this issue, and will provide an update as soon as more information becomes available.
We also encourage you to follow us on Facebook and visit the website at https://cupe500.mb.ca for further updates.
Where Can I Get Support?
Take care - we are all in this together!